Wednesday, March 23, 2011

J. Lotti's Pub & Grill House


So it's Saint Patrick's day and I planned to do some serious bar hopping today.  I wanted to visit an area that isn't as well known as it should be.  With that in mind downtown Waukesha seemed like a pretty good spot.

I know, I know, It's hard to get to, and it's harder to find your way out. If you get a birds eye view the town it almost looks like it was built to resembles a spider's web with all roads converging on Main Street. Yes its true you can get lost in this part of town. Yes street names will just change for no reason and sometimes two streets that are not connected at all will have the same name. Believe it or not, it used to be worse! At least they got rid of the all the one way streets and moved that gazebo where bums used to sell drugs to a well policed area outside Waukesha State Banks main building.

Well since the city got rid of the biggest problems plaguing business in this district it has attracted some very cool entrepreneurs. As far as a town designed for bar hopping and food you can't get any better then this. Off the top of my head I can probably name 10 restaurants and pubs that you can visit within walking distance. When you're done however, call a cab! The police still roam these streets as if it was the same seedy neighborhood it was in the early 90's.

Tailor's Peoples Park was closed due to a small fire a few months back so I got to stop in at J. Lotti's. It's a little off the main drag of the downtown tucked back on South Street.  It's known for its burgers. In fact most times I've been in there I end up getting the Lotti, its a burger with an egg on it, a locally farmed egg no less. It's Saint Patrick's day so the normal menu is off the menu and they are serving tradition Irish meals. This means corn-beef, potatoes, carrots and of course cabbage.  Growing up at my house we ate stuffed cabbage at least twice a week thanks to my dad so any meal featuring cabbage always reminds me of home. I was sold on the traditional Irish plate and the server talked me into the stew.  The selling point was that Chef Phiona is from Ireland and this sealed the deal.

While seated at the bar the owner John Malott made frequent stops around the room to make sure everyone was enjoying their food and having a good time. I always like places that the owner is out on the floor running his business. It's easy to grow to love a place if you can see the people running it enjoying their jobs.  We did have a rather large camera with us and we eventually caught the attention of, and got a warm greeting from, the wife and Co-owner Tiffaney Malott ( T.lotti ).  She was very happy to let us know that J. Lotti's will now be open for lunch. All I can say is I can't wait to stop back.

So if your driving in circles and suddenly find yourself in downtown Waukesha, find a spot, park your car, and have a great time. Oh and stop in to J. lotti's of course.

J Lotti's Bar & Grill House
225 South St.
Waukesha WI 53186
262.522.3009




J Lotti's Pub & Grill on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hmm іt sеemѕ likе youг websitе аte mу first
    commеnt (it was ѕuper lοng) so Ӏ guеss I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thοrοughly enjοying your blog.
    I too am аn aѕpiring blog blοgger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips and hints for rookie blog writers? I'd really aρρreсiate іt.


    http://wωω.hercamρuѕ.com/author/sаmi80equiρment
    my web page: www.hercampus.com

    ReplyDelete